Tuesday 9 February 2016

3D printed Astro-Pi Flight case

The AstroPi flight cases are a gorgeous piece of engineering that I've coveted since I first saw one. Sadly the aerospace-grade aluminium version is not something I'm likely you acquire for myself. However the printable version is an (almost) perfect substitute. 

 

Each of the four pieces needs to be put together to make the case. I used a hot-glue gun to stick the back heatsink onto the base and the middle component onto the face. The application of masking tape prior to gluing makes it easy to remove any sticky overspill around the sides.

I spent quite a while hunting for some cheap buttons but I couldn't find anything that fitted or looked suitable. So I splashed out on the actual parts used on the real thing.



When the Pi and camera are added, I think it looks great!








Almost indistinguishable from the real thing!


1 comment:

  1. Victory Cases offer a range of custom built flight cases and road cases equipment protection. We only use the best quality hardware available. We always strive to go above and beyond providing absolute satisfaction and confidence in flight cases, road cases and musical instrument cases. Victory Cases produce top rated products and offer personalized customer service.

    ReplyDelete